Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Classes

What can I say about classes?  They ROCK man.  I thought I was going to learn about just how to see the footprints, plants, and animals.. But what I have been learning is how to really see the footprints, plants and animals and much much more.  We are learning to see how the animals and plants move.. how they eat.. how they adapt to the environment.. how they can change the environment for better or worse and how we as humans can fit in with the natural rhythms of this earth we all call home. 

I never thought about how I move in the natural world until I started listening to an audio collection of lectures by Jon Young called "Seeing Through Native Eyes" and  "Advanced Bird Language".  I started listening to these because it was on our recommended reading list or Not required books but ones you should get if you can.  I listened to these audio cd's before I left for Alderleaf Wilderness College in July 2011.  These audio cd's allowed me to use my ears to listen to the message that was in the lecture and let me create what I herd into my own vision or day dream of what was happening, much like imagining things when you read a book. 

I decided to try out some of the things Jon was mentioning in his lectures.  So... I walked through the woods like I normally would... loud and noisy and flailing around and kicking over rocks and just being a typical person in the woods.  Then...I sat down and didn't move from the spot I stopped and just closed my eyes and listened.... and listened... and finally I started to hear slight bird chirps in the distance.  Louder and louder the chirps became.  After about 30 minutes and me about to fall asleep I slowly opened my eyes and could see small brown birds and chickadees about 10 feet from me just as busy as can be.  Squirrels that were silent were close to me know and just overhead instead of fleeing through the tree tops and barking out my place in the woods for all to see.  When I realized that I was the one who interrupted their baseline state or harmony in nature... it really made me think about how we all misunderstand nature and or don't know anything about the whole system or cycle of life. 

So, on this Journey Across The U.S. my ultimate goal is still not known but, I can tell with every passing day that the choice I made to come across the U.S. to attend Alderleaf Wilderness College was the best decision for myself.  I really do enjoy learning about the natural world and all its systems and different habitats and really just everything that works together... the Flow and rhythms in baseline state. I have noticed a great change in my thought process.  Instead of running through the woods... I tend to Fox walk or walk without making a large disruption in the forests.  I consider the plants and animals more and the repercussions of my actions when I am being negligent in the their home.  I now consider other living things more than just all about me me me.  I put myself in their shoes and ask myself how would I feel if someone __________, and you can fill in the blank. 

I know I am also documenting the mental awareness and change that I am going to go through but, most people don't realize they change a lot, maybe subtle things but not drastic.  I have noticed a ton of personal growth in myself and I am very proud to say that I am taking charge of my life in these crazy times and I cant wait to change some more, for the better of course.  I hope to give anyone who may read my posts or blog a little bit of faith that its never too late to change your life into what you want it to be.  Just believe in yourself and give it hell!  Something will eventually give way to a new and beautiful beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment